Monsoon has arrived and the trees are changing. We are back with another tree festival to celebrate these changes!
As always, observe the trees around you with SeasonWatch, complete the festival challenges, and win prizes!
When: 7 to 16 July 2023
Where: Anywhere in India!
- 100-not-out: Observe 100 trees in the 10 days of the festival.
- Feather Glory: Observe as many trees with feathery leaves* as possible.
Feathery-leaved trees: Babool (Acacia nilotica), Siris (Albizia lebbeck), Chinese Lantern Tree (Dichrostachys cinerea), and Badminton-Ball Tree (Parkia biglandulosa)
- Palms: Observe as many individuals of the 4 SeasonWatch Palm species as possible.
Palms of SeasonWatch: Toddy Palm (Borassus flabellifer), Fishtail Palm (Caryota urens), Coconut (Cocos nucifera), and Khajur/Date Palm (Phoenix sylvestris)
How to participate
- If you’re new to SeasonWatch, register on the website or Android app.
- Go outdoors and choose any SeasonWatch species to observe.
- To make a one-time-only observation on a tree, click on the ‘casual’ tab, and then on the ‘eye’ icon. To observe the same tree more than once, click on the ‘regular’ tab and then the ‘+’ button to register it with SeasonWatch, or on the ‘eye’ icon to add observations on a registered tree. You can make both types of observations for the November Tree Festival! Need more help? Watch our video tutorials to get set and go!
- Make an observation as follows – imagine the tree canopy to be a circle and divide it into 3 equal parts from the centre. If the stage you are observing is found in ⅓ parts, choose ‘few’. If the stage is seen in more than one part, choose ‘many’, and if it is absent, choose ‘none’.
- To share your observations with everyone, make sure to make your profile set to ‘public’ on the website (Login > Account > My profile > Make profile public), and keep track of daily observations at Explore > Patterns > Observations.
- Participate in other ways by doing tree walks with tree lovers, and sharing the event posters with tree enthusiasts. Help us spread the word!